Monday, August 3, 2009

Crutches

So one night as I adult sat for my friend that had surgery a little over a week ago he introduced me to this HBO series called “Brave New Voices.” This show was so freaking awesome, as it had camera crews follow a few of the teams that would compete in the national youth poetry slam competition in DC. You saw their creativity, their inner struggle, and their heart as they wrote some of the most moving pieces that I have ever heard in my life.

One girl’s story touched me in particular. She was a young lady from New York that had Cerebral Palsy and a lot of what she wrote stemmed from what she dealt with as she went through life with this apparent limitation. The last piece that she performed in the slam competition was entitled crutches and in it she really shared how she felt about the way people treated her like she wasn’t there or like she was not intelligent and it was one of the most moving things I have ever, ever seen. What made it so phenomenal was the fact that you saw her journey to this moment. You saw her overcome the limitations that she had placed on herself as a result of her physical limitations. You saw her conquer low self-esteem, you saw her find her voice and move a step beyond finding her own to help others find theirs. She went from shy and timid to loud and outspoken! She really changed lives that day! She let go of the things that she thought she needed in order to be successful and found that she was so much more successful without them. Putting aside one crutch and her glasses, two things that she didn’t think she could make it without, she changed the lives of tons of people; those that were privileged enough to be at the competition, and those who have the privilege of witnessing it months later.

I’m crying right now as I relive that part of the show where she shared this phenomenal piece of inspiration. Where she encouraged people to really think about how they treated others and how they allowed others to treat them. She let them know that she didn’t have time to stand in the middle of road like a wounded animal waiting on them to get it together! It was amazing!!!!!! She touched a special place in everyone. There was not a dry eye around, because in that moment people could so identify with where she was coming from. Although most of them would never know the pain of a physical limitation, they understood what the mental ones could do and had been doing to them. She inspired them to let go of their crutches, whatever they may be through simply letting go of her own. She went from insecure to empowering and she changed so many lives because of it.

It really made me think. I had to ask myself, what crutches am I holding on to in my life, and whose life might be changed if I suddenly became brave enough to let them go as God helps me to realize that I really don’t need them. I challenge you to ask yourself that same question.

No comments:

Post a Comment